Skip to main content

Please tell me those are not your travel pants

Travel pants. Some of us need them, and some of us don't.

Even amongst those of us who need travel pants (because I am one of them) there are varying degrees of extremity. There are those who consider leggings to be excellent travel pants, possibly because they have no insecurities or maybe they have just transcended their insecurities with lots of cellulite-drop-kicking yoga. Others go with the baggy camo capris that have all those nifty little toggles and ties. Or, perhaps, you prefer the classic zip off pants, like myself. But never have I heard someone say, "Why yes, these brilliantly white pants are in fact my favorite travel pants."

I spotted her on my way home from the hospital today. After walking through the ever tempting array of street food around the hospital I came to the touristy, old town center. I stopped at a stop light. The guy selling holographic pictures of horses running through fields of green was yelling across the street to his fellow street vendor, the bubble machine guy. An older lady on my right, dressed like someone from the chakras in her wool and hat, was waving her hand through the bubbles in the air and smiling a gap-toothed grin. Then, I glanced to my left, and saw something so unexpected that time seemed to stop... Bubbles froze in the air, Spanish and the sound of taxis speeding over cobblestones came at me as if from a distance, the smell of fresh baked bread and those pants.

Those brilliantly white pants.

To tell the truth, her whole outfit was white, which perhaps explains why my first impulse was judgement. Sarcastically in my mind I said to her, "Lady, has anyone ever told you that white is not a good travel color?" But, my next impulse was awe. I realized that my judgement was coming from a place of what we can call "missionary style" insecurity. My version of a fashion statement is to take a break from scrubs, sweat pants, and pjs and throw on some jeans and a T-shirt. And, let's not forget that I rock a lot of headbands, because let's face it, shampoo is expensive in South America.

I hesitate to call this woman "middle aged" because I didn't get a very good look at her (being too distracted by the pure bleached whiteness of her attire), but she looked old enough to know better than to travel in all white. I mean, pre-adolescents can get away with it, but once you have ahem become a woman, you learn to respect the whites and you don't come near them without careful calculation. Or there is my other problem, I like to sit down. Pure white and the pigeon covered benches in Arequipa's plaza de Armas are not exactly a good combination, you hear me? Plus, I am a sloppy eater. Pizza and red wine can do a lot of damage to your favorite white skirt. Thus, the awe. I mean, how does she do it?

Here is my letter to the woman in the white pants (something like a South American fashion missed connection. Do they even have craigslist "missed connections" down here? I'm afraid to google them.)

Dear woman in the white pants.

Today I saw you standing by a stop light on Avenida Mercederes. You were wearing white pants, and a white tank top. The sun was very hot, and my California soul felt a deep throb of envy over your comfort and your tan. How do you do it? Please, teach me your travel/fashion ways. Do you carry a newspaper or magazine with you to sit on wherever you go? Have you already gone through "the change" and do you no longer fear the monthly wrath of Mother Nature? Did you go to travel goddess school? Are you Mary Poppins?

Maybe you could pull a "what not to wear" episode on me and make me throw away all my scrubs and zip off pants. Or maybe you would tell me that those are not your travel pants, that it was all an accident, and that you like my headband.

Have a great day lady. Keep on rockin the whites.

Amanda



PS. They don't have missed connection ads in Arequipa. South America just clocked a few extra points in the dating realm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home Visit in the Mountains

Two physical therapist and a nurse on a home visit, in a field. Feli our Quechua translator, Tajel and Stephanie (PTs) and our patient. He was paralyzed at the age of 14 and is wheelchair bound. We evaluated him under a tin roof while it was raining. Then his aunt brought us hand made cheese and toasted corn. The family farm, chakra (in Quechua) The cute donkey After our home visit we walked through Quinua Pampa a city up at 10,000 ft.

I pick my boogers, therefore I GO

When I was unemployed and still trying to figure out what direction my life supposed to take, I spent a lot of time reading blogs. I don't know why I typed that sentence in past tense. I'm not currently employed within my profession, I will probably always be trying to figure out what direction to take, and I still  spend a lot of time reading blogs. This week I was reading one of my favorite writers, Jamie the Very Worst Missionary, when I came across something that was written by Jamie's husband, whom she likes to call "El Chupacabra." This post is called "Therefore GO" and can be read by clicking here. El Chupacabra points out that the verbs "to go" or "to come" appear more often in the Bible than any of the typical Christianese verbs (eg. to love, to pray, to worship etc...). El Chup talks about how our story is a story of movement. God doesn't usually pick a person out of the mass of humanity and then tell them to stay

Let's be Real for a Second

I want to be real. Well, that’s only partially true. Here’s a statement that is a little closer to the truth.  I want to be real but also appear perfect, but also deep, deep down I want to be known. And because I want to be known, I know that I have to be real. I haven't done my taxes yet, my room is perpetually messy because I hate putting laundry away, and I swear more than you would like to think. Whew! So, here is a true confession. In the past week, I have had quite a few breakdowns. The first came quite unexpectedly, when I came home from Wednesday night with the kiddos at the church and was in a bad mood. I quickly retreated to my room and asked myself, “What the HECK?” (Truthfully, I did not say HECK but it started with H and had four letters) Then, I remembered... Breath in, breath out. It just so happens that I had been stuffing my emotions all day. In the morning I had a two hour conversation with a friend who has some tough stuff going on in her life, and then la