Skip to main content

Integrity and Fail bloging

If you are a family from the church, and you are reading this with your kids. Please be advised that I sometimes use adult language when I write, just like I sometimes swear when I pray. So, if you are going to read me out loud to your kids, please edit where you think you need to edit in order to keep it age appropriate.



Here is where this shit gets real.



For the last couple of weeks I have been praying about what it means to write with integrity.



When I say "praying" please don't picture me in a dark room, surrounded by candles, sitting criss-cross on my Bible, eyes closed, chanting and singing. Usually when I pray I am doing something like drinking tea, watering my plants, walking on a trail, throwing rocks, or driving and thinking crazy thoughts. For example, last Friday I was driving and praying, singing J-Bieber, and wondering what it would be like to live on a windmill farm in the California desert all at the same time. True story.



Anyways.



What does it mean to write with integrity? Well, I have come up with a few things. Here they are listed in no particular order.



Integrity means telling it like it happened, not how I wish it happened. I'm pretty sure that once I get put in a cross cultural setting, and all of my buttons are being pushed and I am sucking at Spanish WAY hard, that I am going to have some epic fails. I will be grumpy. I will say things the wrong way. I will accidentally call people names. I will say urinate instead of pray (the verbs are really close in Spanish, I kid you not). I will fail and I will need to tell someone. Am I going to confess all of my deepest darkest secrets on here? No. I have my accountability people for that. But, I do need to be free to tell you all, "Yeah, I messed up today. I need to get back up and try again."



Integrity can also have a sense of humor. It's therapeutic for me to be able to laugh at myself and my failures. When I have moments where I just realize how white bread I am, despite my best efforts to convince all of South America that I am a secret Latina, I need to step back and take myself unseriously (yes, I do realize that I just made that word up).


Integrity is writing with real emotion, even if that means talking about anger, hurt, or difficult questions. I know from experience that God can handle all of these. When I bring Him my questions, He meets me with His presence. I don't always have answers, but I have felt His presence reach me through it all. Questions are a real part of life, but God's presence is bigger.



So, I have a request to make of you. Come along with me. Let me blog my failures, my emotions, my occasional profanity, my mis-adventures, my misunderstanding of facts, and my sense of humor. I'm trying to write with integrity. Join me. Do you have questions, fear, anger, and hurt? Have you taken a few epic falls? Do you you just need to laugh at yourself? Join me.



Let's give this integrity thing a shot.


And, just because it's been a crazy day, here is another Haitian prayer.
Honesty. It's the best thing for a real relationship with God.


You are the one who made the super-moon,
The one who carves rocks and boulders,
The one who gives and gives until it hurts.

Today I hurt, but I remember You.
You said, "If this cup could pass from me."
You had real questions.
You walked it through
To the end.

Help me to follow in your footsteps,
To give even when it hurts,
To go when I feel fear
Like a waterfall, crashing down,
To the begining and end.
With you.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Must Weep

A few weeks ago the darkness took over the sky. Now, anytime after 3pm, you can feel the downward pull of gravity telling you to sink into your bones.The same week that the sky became dark in Massachusetts, the temperatures dropped and the dread of winter became a talking point in day-to-day conversation. People here have not recovered from the winter of 2015 when snow piled 9 feet high in the span of 6 weeks. There is a tension in their voice when they talk about shoveling and being stuck indoors.

I love the fall. I love the change of the sky to clear blue when the air becomes dry. I love the colors of the leaves and the quiet rain. But, this fall has not been restful but restless for me. Under the trees laden with wet leaves I have not found peace and quiet, but a silent roar of anger. It is too soon. Not enough. I am not ready.
*****
I can feel the vertigo of my sadness. Do not let anyone tell you that grief is not a physical process. Our bodies will tell us so many things if we l…

Five Friday Feminist Finds and Fun

Hello,

I've been posting infrequently and erratically, it seems, probably due to the little person who has recently taken over most of our free time.

But, I thought this would be a fun way to get back into the swing of sharing a little bit more on the inter-webs. So here you go.

Whether you would unashamedly describe yourself as a "feminist," or no, whether male or female, East Coast, West Coast, or international community, I hope you enjoy this list of 5 things that have been making my female heart happy and my lady brain think new thoughts.


1. Soy Yo (Bomba Eséreo)

The Kind of Mom I Thought I Would Be

I’m not the kind of mom that I thought I would be.

Truth be told, I didn’t have very many conscious expectations about what kind of mom I would be. It was shockingly easy for us to have a baby. We didn’t have a long wait or struggle before we were pregnant, we just were. Four months after we were married I held a positive pregnancy test in my shaking hands.
Theoretically and practically, we were prepared to be parents. I had worked with children since I was 14. Both my husband and I had friends who with babies and toddlers, both of us wanted a family, and we both had jobs in our fields of study that allowed us the flexibility to change our “five year” plan. We quickly became excited that we were starting our family.
But, somewhere in the flurry of planning, my subterranean mind was working and carving out caves full of ideas. Different visions of myself as a mother had been formed without me thinking through my self-expectations. They came into my mind slowly, in the months followin…