Skip to main content

Thankful, Grateful, Blessed and Breathing

This week I tried to write out the things I am thankful for each day and it has made such a difference in my perspective. The fear, sadness and all those other negative things that I have been feeling were just annihilated by the realization that I have been blessed beyond measure. So, I decided to try and change my way of dealing with the sadness/fear moments. When they hit me, I’m going to try to stop and be thankful for something.

Here’s my short list of the things I am thankful for:

-I’m thankful for daylight savings because my runs just got that much warmer and happier.


-I’m thankful for these guys (my brothers, sister-in-law and parents) for the way that they have loved my through a lot of my stuff, the years I was crazy with school and all the times I stole their toothbrushes.








-I’m so grateful that my parents planted a deep desire to serve other people in each of our hearts, that they taught us to start by serving each other, and that they encourage us to listen to people during conflict.

-I’m so blessed by the people I get to work with at the church, especially my boss, our team, and all the precious kiddos.

-I’m grateful for the great outdoors, for rock climbing, hiking, mountains and the ocean. Whew! It amazes me how beautiful the world is!!!





-I am so amazingly thankful for these two, the girls who have really known me for 11 years now, and who have chosen to stick with this friendship even when it is work. They are my laundry ladies, prayer partners, and accountability. They have dried my tears and belly laughed with me. What a joy it is to have them.


-I am thankful for perfect beach days and for my Gemma jam and Sharkey.
 
-I am grateful for the adventures that I have been able to have, for the enormity of God’s love for the world, and for the many friends that I have made along the way.

-I continue to be blessed by the way that God provides for me, whether it was how I expected that provision to come or not. And I am grateful for the reminder that I am a part of something bigger than myself, which means that it doesn’t have to happen MY way to happen at all.

-I’m so grateful for the huge community, the blanket of people who know and have known me, those who helped me to grow and fed me encouragement.

Seriously, I’m overflowing here guys. I can’t describe what has just happened in my heart as I wrote out this list and put up these pictures. I’m sure there are people and things here that I have forgotten to mention. I really do have THAT much to be thankful for. But, every single time I have stopped to be thankful this week I have felt God’s pleasure. It’s like He’s saying, “Yes, that’s right. I gave these things to you. I love to give good things to my children.” He is taking pleasure in the things that bring me to life.


He’s doing that for you too, can you hear Him?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home Visit in the Mountains

Two physical therapist and a nurse on a home visit, in a field. Feli our Quechua translator, Tajel and Stephanie (PTs) and our patient. He was paralyzed at the age of 14 and is wheelchair bound. We evaluated him under a tin roof while it was raining. Then his aunt brought us hand made cheese and toasted corn. The family farm, chakra (in Quechua) The cute donkey After our home visit we walked through Quinua Pampa a city up at 10,000 ft.

I pick my boogers, therefore I GO

When I was unemployed and still trying to figure out what direction my life supposed to take, I spent a lot of time reading blogs. I don't know why I typed that sentence in past tense. I'm not currently employed within my profession, I will probably always be trying to figure out what direction to take, and I still  spend a lot of time reading blogs. This week I was reading one of my favorite writers, Jamie the Very Worst Missionary, when I came across something that was written by Jamie's husband, whom she likes to call "El Chupacabra." This post is called "Therefore GO" and can be read by clicking here. El Chupacabra points out that the verbs "to go" or "to come" appear more often in the Bible than any of the typical Christianese verbs (eg. to love, to pray, to worship etc...). El Chup talks about how our story is a story of movement. God doesn't usually pick a person out of the mass of humanity and then tell them to stay

Let's be Real for a Second

I want to be real. Well, that’s only partially true. Here’s a statement that is a little closer to the truth.  I want to be real but also appear perfect, but also deep, deep down I want to be known. And because I want to be known, I know that I have to be real. I haven't done my taxes yet, my room is perpetually messy because I hate putting laundry away, and I swear more than you would like to think. Whew! So, here is a true confession. In the past week, I have had quite a few breakdowns. The first came quite unexpectedly, when I came home from Wednesday night with the kiddos at the church and was in a bad mood. I quickly retreated to my room and asked myself, “What the HECK?” (Truthfully, I did not say HECK but it started with H and had four letters) Then, I remembered... Breath in, breath out. It just so happens that I had been stuffing my emotions all day. In the morning I had a two hour conversation with a friend who has some tough stuff going on in her life, and then la