Skip to main content

Don’t Tell the Other Moms


Mother’s Day 2018, I am in bed in my pajamas, drinking a semi-cooled cup of coffee from a llama mug, playing solitaire, completely alone in my house.

My husband and toddler went to church, without me. And, right after they left (because I am very holy and sanctified) I turned on the new Ali Wong special and laughed so hard that I sneezed 4 times in a row and then cried.

I did have a fleeting thought questioning if I should watch the comedy special or maybe do something- I don’t know- more reflective. But, here’s the thing. I’ve been doing a lot of work with the Enneagram lately, and as a part of this work I signed up to get daily reminders to check my inner thoughts/fears/motivations. So I get daily emails that remind me to let go of the need to prove my “worthiness” to others.

Today I woke up with a scratchy throat and achy body. Is this seasonal allergies or the beginning of a cold? I’m not sure. Also, yesterday we had a lot of people over. Plus, work has been a major crazy train for the last few months. There’s been more yelling and swearing than I am used to in the hospice world. The universe is spinning on a high stress axis, maybe, I don’t know.

Anyways, please don’t tell the other moms.




On Mother’s Day I feel pressure to receive a handpicked bouquet of wildflower/weeds and post a picture of it on Instagram, and to go to church and smile serenely, and to have my hair perfectly quaffed + a manicure that is not chipping- At the same time! But, today I’m taking a break from my own expectations, and from trying to please an imaginary audience.

I am an introvert. Therefore, enough alone time to pee, shower, and shave my legs all at once, is better than any box of chocolates.

I do feel it, that niggling voice behind my ears that says that I should be celebrating Mother’s Day by snuggling my son. So, shhh, don’t tell the other moms.




Even better, my husband bought tickets for me to go see Avengers: Infinity Wars this afternoon with my mother in law. Because he is a champion, he will stay home with the Frijo-toddler, AND make smoked meats for us to eat this afternoon upon our return. Hashtag- Imarriedthatguy. Hashtag- Iwillkeephim.

A lot of my plans for today seems to be taking me away from my kiddo, and I already spend a lot of time away from him during the week, and I brought 2 hours of charting home with me on Friday, and we are weaning, and MOM GUILT is so real.

“Don’t tell the other moms,” I found that I was saying that a lot this year, mostly when I felt guilty for something, and then wanted to deflect my feelings with a humorous tagline. Let’s face it. I am my own imaginary audience. If I don’t want to say it to you, than I already feel bad about it inside of myself. But I am learning that I tend towards an unhealthy sense of martyrdom, rather than a healthy balance of self-care. So, I’m limping forward.

My hope is that mothers everywhere can feel appreciated and loved in whatever way they need today, and that they wont feel like they have to whisper about it.



By the way, Ali Wong’s Hard Knock Wife special is hilarious and super inappropriate. This post is in no way an endorsement. It definitely earned its “mature audiences” rating. I thoroughly enjoyed it, AND, I’ll listen to the sermon tomorrow, because I love our church and I’m learning about Grace. But, first I’m going to go take a shower.

Hugs and <3 to everyone today, especially those who have mixed feelings and emotions about Mother’s Day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home Visit in the Mountains

Two physical therapist and a nurse on a home visit, in a field. Feli our Quechua translator, Tajel and Stephanie (PTs) and our patient. He was paralyzed at the age of 14 and is wheelchair bound. We evaluated him under a tin roof while it was raining. Then his aunt brought us hand made cheese and toasted corn. The family farm, chakra (in Quechua) The cute donkey After our home visit we walked through Quinua Pampa a city up at 10,000 ft.

Five Friday Feminist Finds and Fun

Hello, I've been posting infrequently and erratically, it seems, probably due to the little person who has recently taken over most of our free time. But, I thought this would be a fun way to get back into the swing of sharing a little bit more on the inter-webs. So here you go. Whether you would unashamedly describe yourself as a "feminist," or no, whether male or female, East Coast, West Coast, or international community, I hope you enjoy this list of 5 things that have been making my female heart happy and my lady brain think new thoughts. 1. Soy Yo (Bomba Eséreo) One little girl takes on the world with her hair style, recorder, dance moves, and B-ball skillz, as the music states in the background “I am me.” This should be an anthem for girlhood everywhere. 2. Wonder Woman If you haven’t already, please stop what you are doing and go see this movie! It dispels the myth that a woman of strength, action and com

I pick my boogers, therefore I GO

When I was unemployed and still trying to figure out what direction my life supposed to take, I spent a lot of time reading blogs. I don't know why I typed that sentence in past tense. I'm not currently employed within my profession, I will probably always be trying to figure out what direction to take, and I still  spend a lot of time reading blogs. This week I was reading one of my favorite writers, Jamie the Very Worst Missionary, when I came across something that was written by Jamie's husband, whom she likes to call "El Chupacabra." This post is called "Therefore GO" and can be read by clicking here. El Chupacabra points out that the verbs "to go" or "to come" appear more often in the Bible than any of the typical Christianese verbs (eg. to love, to pray, to worship etc...). El Chup talks about how our story is a story of movement. God doesn't usually pick a person out of the mass of humanity and then tell them to stay