Skip to main content

Five Friday Feminist Finds and Fun

Hello,

I've been posting infrequently and erratically, it seems, probably due to the little person who has recently taken over most of our free time.

But, I thought this would be a fun way to get back into the swing of sharing a little bit more on the inter-webs. So here you go.

Whether you would unashamedly describe yourself as a "feminist," or no, whether male or female, East Coast, West Coast, or international community, I hope you enjoy this list of 5 things that have been making my female heart happy and my lady brain think new thoughts.


1. Soy Yo (Bomba Eséreo)


One little girl takes on the world with her hair style, recorder, dance moves, and B-ball skillz, as the music states in the background “I am me.” This should be an anthem for girlhood everywhere.




2. Wonder Woman

If you haven’t already, please stop what you are doing and go see this movie! It dispels the myth that a woman of strength, action and compassion would somehow diminish the value of the men around her. Feminists unite! Finally we have a mainstream media portrayal of a woman whose strength calls out the best in other people, whose life force is not rooted in sensuality but in her whole personhood, a woman who kicks ass better than the best of them because her heart is large and tender enough to see what needs to be done. I hope that someday I have a daughter so that I can watch this with her for the first time (chills, just typing that!), but for now I will make everyone that I know watch it so that we can talk about it. And when Frijobabe is big enough, you know that we will be watching this and talking about female protagonists…



3. Four Ways the Senate Health Care Bill Would Hurt Women

Regardless of your political slant and background, please take a moment to read over the way that this bill could effect women. If you tend to support Republican legislation because you are Pro Life, please give your attention to the 3rd paragraph. Improved access to long acting contraceptives has dramatically decreased the national abortion rate, and PP is already prohibited from accepting Medicaid reimbursement for providing abortions except in cases of rape or incest.



4. "Woven Together"

Sarah Bessey and her husband Brian share why they have an “Egalitarian” marriage, aka they recognize each other as complete equals in a spiritual sense and reject the idea that the man must be the “head” of the household. When Sarah says, “Marriage within the Kingdom of God is never an exercise of authority. It is always an exercise of laying down your authority.” I want to stand up with all the praise-hands emojis and say YAAAASSSSSS. I have had the privilege of being married to a man who is more of a feminist than I am, and our intentional equality in marriage has breathed so much life into our relationship. Anywho, it’s about a 50-minute listen, and you can a turn it on while you go about your day.


5. What If We Are Teaching Purity All Wrong- a millennial’s take.

For all you Christian gals and guys who survived the “I Kissed Dating Goodbye” years, and are looking for a different perspective, or maybe you are a parent who is considering how to talk to your own kiddos about sex, I present the vlog on this page. It’s a 6 minute long commentary on some of the ways that Christian folks talk about sex… I found it valuable and I hope you will too.





There you go, I hope you found something to enjoy in this list. Shoot me a message or comment if you have thoughts to share. Frijobabe woke up in time to help  me to edit and publish this post, so all commas and apostrophes shall be to his credit. ;D

Peace,
Amanda


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home Visit in the Mountains

Two physical therapist and a nurse on a home visit, in a field. Feli our Quechua translator, Tajel and Stephanie (PTs) and our patient. He was paralyzed at the age of 14 and is wheelchair bound. We evaluated him under a tin roof while it was raining. Then his aunt brought us hand made cheese and toasted corn. The family farm, chakra (in Quechua) The cute donkey After our home visit we walked through Quinua Pampa a city up at 10,000 ft.

I pick my boogers, therefore I GO

When I was unemployed and still trying to figure out what direction my life supposed to take, I spent a lot of time reading blogs. I don't know why I typed that sentence in past tense. I'm not currently employed within my profession, I will probably always be trying to figure out what direction to take, and I still  spend a lot of time reading blogs. This week I was reading one of my favorite writers, Jamie the Very Worst Missionary, when I came across something that was written by Jamie's husband, whom she likes to call "El Chupacabra." This post is called "Therefore GO" and can be read by clicking here. El Chupacabra points out that the verbs "to go" or "to come" appear more often in the Bible than any of the typical Christianese verbs (eg. to love, to pray, to worship etc...). El Chup talks about how our story is a story of movement. God doesn't usually pick a person out of the mass of humanity and then tell them to stay

Let's be Real for a Second

I want to be real. Well, that’s only partially true. Here’s a statement that is a little closer to the truth.  I want to be real but also appear perfect, but also deep, deep down I want to be known. And because I want to be known, I know that I have to be real. I haven't done my taxes yet, my room is perpetually messy because I hate putting laundry away, and I swear more than you would like to think. Whew! So, here is a true confession. In the past week, I have had quite a few breakdowns. The first came quite unexpectedly, when I came home from Wednesday night with the kiddos at the church and was in a bad mood. I quickly retreated to my room and asked myself, “What the HECK?” (Truthfully, I did not say HECK but it started with H and had four letters) Then, I remembered... Breath in, breath out. It just so happens that I had been stuffing my emotions all day. In the morning I had a two hour conversation with a friend who has some tough stuff going on in her life, and then la