Skip to main content

T-5 days

The countdown is on. 

There are piles of clothes, shoes, nursing supplies, paperwork, and cards and gifts ALL over my room. My list of to-dos is still as long as my arm, despite the fact that every time I leave the house I do a few things from that aforementioned list on my way to wherever I'm going. A few times each day, I step back, take a couple of deep breaths and remember that every "little thing gonna be alright." It's probably going to be more than just alright. But, with all great adventures, we never know what things are actually going to be like until we get there.

One of the main items on my list is to, "Tell your people that you love them ALL the time."
I feel a little bit like the Youtube child sensation Jessica. If you, like me, spend far too much time on the internet, than you know what I'm talking about. If not...


Megan Fulton, and Roxann McArthur, that was for YOU.

As I walk or drive around doing my errands I say to myself, "I love my house, I love my Mom, I love my friends, I love my brothers, I love my Dad, I love my gym, I love the beach, I love the mountains... I love my whole church (clap), my whole life is great... Yeah, yeah."

Last night when I was adding to my packing list I felt a still, small voice hit me in the back of my mind.

Amanda, stop trying to reproduce the life you have in California. 

I stopped for a second, and thought to myself. "Am I trying to bring my life with me?" Honest answer, yes, I think I probably am. I have so much here, that trying to hold onto it all has been really, really tempting.

Eeeeeeeeeep! What's going to happen when I let go of everything that I "have" and just go for it no matter what?

You tell me, because I honestly have no idea.

Just in case you are a part of my life here, and I haven't told you lately, I LOVE you. Now, I have a list to get done.




PS. My interim practice permit just came in from the Colegio Enfermeros de Peru. It looks like this.



Que bueno! Ya estoy listo.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home Visit in the Mountains

Two physical therapist and a nurse on a home visit, in a field. Feli our Quechua translator, Tajel and Stephanie (PTs) and our patient. He was paralyzed at the age of 14 and is wheelchair bound. We evaluated him under a tin roof while it was raining. Then his aunt brought us hand made cheese and toasted corn. The family farm, chakra (in Quechua) The cute donkey After our home visit we walked through Quinua Pampa a city up at 10,000 ft.

I pick my boogers, therefore I GO

When I was unemployed and still trying to figure out what direction my life supposed to take, I spent a lot of time reading blogs. I don't know why I typed that sentence in past tense. I'm not currently employed within my profession, I will probably always be trying to figure out what direction to take, and I still  spend a lot of time reading blogs. This week I was reading one of my favorite writers, Jamie the Very Worst Missionary, when I came across something that was written by Jamie's husband, whom she likes to call "El Chupacabra." This post is called "Therefore GO" and can be read by clicking here. El Chupacabra points out that the verbs "to go" or "to come" appear more often in the Bible than any of the typical Christianese verbs (eg. to love, to pray, to worship etc...). El Chup talks about how our story is a story of movement. God doesn't usually pick a person out of the mass of humanity and then tell them to stay

Let's be Real for a Second

I want to be real. Well, that’s only partially true. Here’s a statement that is a little closer to the truth.  I want to be real but also appear perfect, but also deep, deep down I want to be known. And because I want to be known, I know that I have to be real. I haven't done my taxes yet, my room is perpetually messy because I hate putting laundry away, and I swear more than you would like to think. Whew! So, here is a true confession. In the past week, I have had quite a few breakdowns. The first came quite unexpectedly, when I came home from Wednesday night with the kiddos at the church and was in a bad mood. I quickly retreated to my room and asked myself, “What the HECK?” (Truthfully, I did not say HECK but it started with H and had four letters) Then, I remembered... Breath in, breath out. It just so happens that I had been stuffing my emotions all day. In the morning I had a two hour conversation with a friend who has some tough stuff going on in her life, and then la