Skip to main content

A Dissertation on the Powers of Inertia: Post Nursing School Unemployment

Life.
It’s not about what it brings to you, it’s about the attitude you bring to living. That was my cliché statement of the post. It sounds like something that would be in a romantic comedy.
Anyways, life post nursing school and post RN license has been very typical of this statement. Every day, week, month is a choice. Choose to watch TV all day or choose to go out and meet up with a friend. Choose to run a few miles or choose to bake some goodies. Inertia is a real thing. When I am in motion it can sometimes feel frenetic, like staying in motion will somehow give me a greater purpose. Staying at rest is even worse. There is nothing like staying in your pajamas all day for the third day in a row and watching too many Lie to Me episodes. Not that I know that last bit from experience. I am just speaking hypothetically. ;)
No but really, over the last couple of months I think I have actually arrived at a more balanced place than either of these two extremes. I do things with friends. I also do things around the house. I do things that I couldn’t do while I was in nursing school. Things like: creating a compost system, catching up on my writing, and reading , writing letters to people who live far away, taking random trips to Mexico and Peru, journaling, drinking tea, trying to pray more, getting back into rock climbing
These are just a few of the many. It turns out that time is a gift. And right now it’s like my soul is growing. The process of nursing school, with all of its challenges and difficulties, was a pruning process. Now, I am growing back.
Do I want a job? Unequivocally yes. Am I actively looking for a job? About once a week I do some research, look at my resume and sometimes apply somewhere. The other days are full of trying to do well at the things that are in front of me right now. Do I like it when people ask me how the job search is going? Sometimes. It really depends on what kind of day I’m having. Am I grateful for the ups and downs of this time? I like to think that someday I will be.
Until then, I will try to figure out where I fit. I will continue to analyze the things that I am good at, communicate them to prospective employers, and dress up for interviews.
Job searching , it turns out, is a lot like dating.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home Visit in the Mountains

Two physical therapist and a nurse on a home visit, in a field. Feli our Quechua translator, Tajel and Stephanie (PTs) and our patient. He was paralyzed at the age of 14 and is wheelchair bound. We evaluated him under a tin roof while it was raining. Then his aunt brought us hand made cheese and toasted corn. The family farm, chakra (in Quechua) The cute donkey After our home visit we walked through Quinua Pampa a city up at 10,000 ft.

I pick my boogers, therefore I GO

When I was unemployed and still trying to figure out what direction my life supposed to take, I spent a lot of time reading blogs. I don't know why I typed that sentence in past tense. I'm not currently employed within my profession, I will probably always be trying to figure out what direction to take, and I still  spend a lot of time reading blogs. This week I was reading one of my favorite writers, Jamie the Very Worst Missionary, when I came across something that was written by Jamie's husband, whom she likes to call "El Chupacabra." This post is called "Therefore GO" and can be read by clicking here. El Chupacabra points out that the verbs "to go" or "to come" appear more often in the Bible than any of the typical Christianese verbs (eg. to love, to pray, to worship etc...). El Chup talks about how our story is a story of movement. God doesn't usually pick a person out of the mass of humanity and then tell them to stay

Let's be Real for a Second

I want to be real. Well, that’s only partially true. Here’s a statement that is a little closer to the truth.  I want to be real but also appear perfect, but also deep, deep down I want to be known. And because I want to be known, I know that I have to be real. I haven't done my taxes yet, my room is perpetually messy because I hate putting laundry away, and I swear more than you would like to think. Whew! So, here is a true confession. In the past week, I have had quite a few breakdowns. The first came quite unexpectedly, when I came home from Wednesday night with the kiddos at the church and was in a bad mood. I quickly retreated to my room and asked myself, “What the HECK?” (Truthfully, I did not say HECK but it started with H and had four letters) Then, I remembered... Breath in, breath out. It just so happens that I had been stuffing my emotions all day. In the morning I had a two hour conversation with a friend who has some tough stuff going on in her life, and then la